Sunday, August 24, 2014

Prognosticating

Anyone wondering about Texas A&M's destiny in football starting next week might be interested in the season predictions at Good Bull Hunting.

My initial prediction is 7-6, based on the simple reality of no Manziel and no Evans, without whose performances several of the Ws in 2012 and 2013 would have been losses. The Aggie defense can't be worse than last year's bottom ten bunch, but how much better it will be remains to be seen. In 2012, Johnny Manziel was an unknown quantity who turned out to be the most exciting A&M player I ever watched. I haven't seen indications that Kenny Hill has the same potential, but judging from the little I have seen, he could be adequate in the Sumlin offense, especially if the running backs are fully utilized and the OL can help out.

The opening game against South Carolina will provide some clues as to what expectations are reasonable for 2014. Right now, I have that game penciled in as a loss, along with Alabama, Auburn, and LSU (all of whom beat A&M when Manziel was playing). I expect A&M to also lose two of the following games: Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Missouri, or the bowl game. I reserve the right to review and revise my forecast if A&M performs effectively enough to beat South Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment