Thursday, April 24, 2008

Looking back, looking ahead

The lead item at Huffington Post tonight is about how the media have turned on Obama, with all the leading mainstream sources (Time, Washington Post, New York Times, etc) starting to build on the idea that Obama is unelectable. Well, shit. I figured that out months ago.

The voters that Hillbillary is getting have been described like this: Older, lower income, and less-educated. Obama is getting his support from younger, higher income, well-educated people. The media are pointing out that Obama can't get enough support from the kind of folks that are voting for Hillary to beat McCain in November.

I won't argue with anybody who says Obama is unelectable. I've lived around Texans my whole damned life, and I understand the redneck, shitkicker, trailer park white trash mentality as well as it can be understood, but I also know that not all the ignorant dipshits live here. Places like Alabama, Mississippi, Ohio, Indiana and Pennsylvania also have their fair share.

And let's face it: You have to be pretty damned stupid to think that Mrs. Clinton is any more electable than Obama. When the Repubs get through with her, they'll have to check dental records to identify whatever's left.

In 1992, when Bill Clinton and Al Gore were running the first time, I was still in the public welfare bureaucracy. That's where I learned about redneck, shitkicker, trailerpark trash. One reason I voted for Bill Clinton was that I agreed with about 80 percent of the things he said he wanted to do, and I particularly agreed with his enlightened views on welfare reform, a subject that was close to my heart back in those days.

Clinton won, and the Republicans didn't know whether to shit or go blind. I loved it. Those were some good days, at least at first. But as time went on, it was obvious the Repubs were going to do whatever they had to do to destroy the Clinton administration. Although she was ridiculed for saying so, Hillary was correct when she spoke about the vast rightwing conspiracy. Books have been written on the subject; I have several myself.

During his second term, the Clinton death wish I've discussed repeatedly became apparent, and like most Americans, I was glad there are presidential term limits. I had a pervasive case of Clinton fatigue, and was ready for a change. In 2000, McCain looked like the kind of change I wanted, but instead we got Willy Wanker. HFS, we got the one guy who could make Clinton look like he belonged on Mt. Rushmore by comparison.

In 1994, Hillbillary had already alienated enough voters to allow the Repubs to win majorities in both chambers of Congress, and the next six years were a classic example of the advantages of divided government. Clinton couldn't get any of his agenda through, but he was able to checkmate the very worst impulses of Gingrich, DeLay, and the rest of the maggots. The country responded to gridlock with what I look back on as a period of peace and prosperity.

The truth is, Obama can't beat Top Gun. At best, he'd keep it closer than Mrs. Clinton can. At this point, my main concern is getting the economy straightened out. When you're retired, the last thing you need is to have the costs of essential goods (food, gasoline) and services (health care) skyrocketing. Fixed income, increasing cost of living, bad, bad, bad.

Let Top Gun be responsible for cleaning up the mess his party made. We need to get back to divided government, and I'll be satisfied if the Dems can pick up seats in the House and Senate and keep a tight rein on Top Gun for his four years, particularly in his judicial appointments. What worries me is that Hillary at the top of the ballot will make it harder to pick up those extra congressional seats, because I expect a lot of potential Dem voters will be sitting out the election if Hillbillary steals the nomination, and maybe even if she wins fair and square. Whatever happens, the Dems have to patch things up and get out the vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment