Saturday, August 16, 2008

Saddleback, Saturday, status quo

My missus, normally indifferent regarding politics, recently developed an interest in Rick Warren and wanted to see the forum he was hosting tonight with Barry and Speedo at his church in California, so we watched C-SPAN instead of the classic movie on TCM.

I saw the final 45 minutes or so of Obama's opening segment and the first 20 minutes of Speedo's following segment. Obama tried diligently to answer each question as it was asked, and looked a little uncomfortable with a few. Speedo, in contrast, used each question as a launch point to work in parts of the same freakin' stump speeches he's been giving for damned near two years now. Which is why I threw up my hands in frustration after 20 minutes and said FTS. A total waste of my precious time.

The locale and the audience were obviously tailor-made for Speedo, conservative evangelunicals at one of those megachurches you read about, but I guess the silly bastard has gotten so accustomed to crawling around trying to win that crowd over, he couldn't resist the temptation to do it again tonight. Pathetic whoring, in a church no less. One final point: Ace is running that "My friends..." gimmick into the ground. I'm not his f-ing friend, and I hate him more every time I hear that phony bullshit.

Obama probably didn't win the hearts and minds of the evangelunicals, but they treated him with more courtesy than I expected. I ended the evening exactly the way I started it. Barry didn't do anything to get me enthusiastic or alienate me, and Speedo's still a hole. Saddleback Saturday status quo.

No comments:

Post a Comment