Thursday, August 28, 2008

Cultural decay

Tonight a person I can normally depend on included me on the mailing list for one of those viral internet chain letters that I think of as part of the dry rot in American culture. This one was from some sick rightwing fuck calling himself Dr. Jack Wheeler, and was a few paragraphs of the kind of diseased anti-Obama filth that I've been trying to avoid for nearly a year now.

To me, sending out unsolicited chain letters by e-mail is as rude and offensive as carrying on a personal cell phone conversation in a public place. Unfortunately, rudeness has become as much a part of American daily life as football and apple pie. Receiving the chain letter in itself was offensive, and the content just made it worse. It would've pissed me off any time I checked my inbox and skimmed that text, but it so happened I'd just finished watching Obama's speech to the DNC accepting the party's nomination. There was nothing about Obama or his speech that scared or worried me; in fact, I thought it was up to the standards of the speeches I heard earlier this week.

I'd planned to record a few of my impressions tonight, but I'm so damned mad I think I'll let it go for now. Dr. Jack Wheeler is forty feet of shit in a 12-inch tube, but there are evidently people in the market for what he's selling and trying to win converts to their cause. I have no use for those dimbulbs, and I don't need them leaving their garbage on my doorstep.

No comments:

Post a Comment